[WriteLog] WL 10.30B Comments - stuttering, Enter key, packet

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL 10.30B Comments - stuttering, Enter key, packet
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:23:51 -0500
Comments interspersed below...

On 18 Feb 02, at 8:39, Barry N1EU wrote:

> I hope everyone enjoyed the incredible condx this weekend!  A few
> post-contest comments:
>
> 1. LPT1 cw stuttering is still a major problem (INI entry made).  I'd
> appreciate hearing from any contesters who spent 5+ hours running and
> didn't notice stuttering.  I honestly didn't notice much improvement
> over previous WL revs.  I can't help but wonder if there is an
> underlying WL event that is causing the stuttering, such as processing
> a new spotted multiplier.  Maybe the guys who are operating unassisted
> don't see the stuttering?

No problem here, running 10.28C, on a PII-450 and a P-133.
Closed all extraneous "tsrs" so had about 85% free system
resources before opening WL.

> 2. There is a potentially dangerous conflict in the action of the
> "Enter" key.  If cursor focus is in the log entry window, "Enter" (or
> Ctrl-Enter) will log the entry.  If focus gets shifted from the log
> entry window into the packet spot window, "Enter" will overwrite the
> log entry with the highlighted spot and the qso will be lost.  If you
> are gunning packet spots, this shift of focus can easily happen.  The
> "Enter" key alone should not move a packet spot into the log entry
> window and overwrite what is there.
>
> 3.  If "alt-W" can clear the log entry window when cursor focus is in
> the packet spot window, it would be nice to move the cursor focus to
> the log entry window from there since the logical next move is to
> enter the correct callsign.

Good idea!

> 4. There is often a very noticeable one second delay in grabbing a
> packet spot, and sometimes no delay.

Didn't notice it here with Yaesu FT-1000D and FT-990.

> 5. It would be great to be able to constantly view Mults on All Bands
> in a separate window while viewing (& gunning) the spots for a
> selected band.
>
> 6. "/BUST" should not show up as a multiplier.  Seems like we visited
> this a year or two ago.

You can deal with this in AR-Cluster nodes. I set the Keyword filter
to filter spots with /BUST. Never saw them!
73,
(the other) Barry W2UP