[WriteLog] MMTTY/Writelog pauses, startup delays, etc.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MMTTY/Writelog pauses, startup delays, etc.
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:43:41 -0000
After FireBrick Bill's timely reminder about the detailed Task Manager info
available under XP, I've just finished a little research / comparison effort
here using my dual -boot setup with XP and W98SE all on the same AMD K6 400,
256mB RAM machine.   The difference is astounding, even allowing for
expectable overhead variations between the two systems.  YMMV, but here's
what I found:

======================================
MMTTY 1.62 stand-alone FSK / rig control

Startup time: under XP - 20 seconds    --->     under 98SE   - 4 seconds !

Shutdown       under XP - 22 seconds    ---->      under 98SE  -  "instant"
!

Processor cycles  under XP for the stand-alone, no AFC

Startup / shut down 96% !!
Receive IIR/PLL  30-36%            Receive with FIR   38-40%
TX  peaks at 27%

These XP figures were nearly identical under WL with plug-in,  and in YP Log
with MMTTY engine.

RttyRite / WL Stereo Soundboard   AFSK  (FSK has same values)

Startup / shutdown times about 5 secs max, either XP or 98!!

RTTY receive average CPU totals for RttyRite+WL Sound + WL       < 40%

CW receive average totals for above
< 25 %

Looks like maybe I'll decide to run RTTY contests under W98 with WL/ MMTTY
plugin, or else with XP rely more on the ST-8000, and run RttyRite w/
on-screen tuning indicator as backup in the second window.  (SO1.5R is the
favorite here.)

Hope others will offer their own results with similar comparisons.....

Jon         K1US