[WriteLog] FD 1D and points

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FD 1D and points
From: jbastin@sssnet.com (John E Bastin, K8AJS)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:38:45 -0400

At 12:35 +0000 06/26/2002, RCARIELLO wrote:

>Frank, et. al....
>Not quit and I quote the rules in QST May 2002, ARRL Field Day 2002 Rules,
>Page 108.
>
>"1. ELIGIBILITY: Field Day is open to all amateurs in the areas covered by
>the ARRL/RAC Field Organizations AND COUNTRIES WITHIN IARU REGION 2."
>
>"DX residing in other regions may be contacted for credit, but are not
>eligible to submit entries."
>
>These other DX countries regardless what there operating condition is will
>provide points to "D" class stations. This seems to be the way WriteLog is
>scoring them.

For what it's worth, that wasn't the way I interpreted the rules, and
not the way I submitted my entry (it also wasn't the way WriteLog
scored them).

 From the Field Day rules:

"4.6. (Class D) Home stations: Stations operating from permanent or
licensed station locations using commercial power. Class D stations
may only count contacts made with Class A, B, C and E Field Day
stations. "

"5. Exchange: Stations in ARRL / RAC sections will exchange their
Field Day operating Class and ARRL / RAC section. Example: a three
transmitter class A station in Connecticut which also has a GOTA
station and one VHF station would send "3A CT" on CW or "3 Alpha
Connecticut" on phone. DX stations send operating class and the term
DX (i.e. 2A DX). "

 From this I deduced that the DX stations, even those not in Region 2,
should be sending the operating class and 'DX' for an exchange (NOT
the signal report), and if their class is 'D', ***THEY DON'T COUNT.***

That's the way WriteLog scored my log, and that's the way I submitted it.

   _
  /~\ The ASCII        | J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
  \ / Ribbon Campaign  | jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
   X  Against HTML     |          http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs
  / \ Email!           |