[WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 05:52:49 -0600
I'm very interested in all of this as I am trying to adopt Writelog as my
primary contest logging program.

Back in the days of 8088's, there were essentially only two methods of
computer logging, which were the "CT Way" or the "TR Way".  Many folks can
use the CT (and also NA) approach as it emulates and streamlines what we did
on paper in the old days.  TR, was an "out of the box", new approach to
contest logging that many, including me, never really got into although I'm
a lifetime subscriber to TR and have used it occasionally in the Sprint, for
example, very effectively.

That said, I would like to streamline what I do, and I am willing to try
using different keystrokes.

I have always used Writelog in "Ct compatibility" mode.  This allows the use
of the Insert and + keys to do what you guys are wanting to do all with the
Enter key.

Where I struggled with this with TR, is what happens when I don't want it to
do what it's going to do next?  This dilemma is not found with CT, or with
Writelog (at least in CT mode) as it will only do what I tell it to do.

So, my routine for CQWW CW is this:

Enter the callsign of the station I am calling - or not, and Press F4 to
send my callsign.
After I have the callsign correct, press the Space bar, which moves the
cursor to the zone field and fills it in for me.
I then correct the exchange if he sends other than the default, Press F2 to
send my exchange and finally press Enter to log the QSO.

That's all that's involved in logging a QSO in S&P.  <F4> callsign <Space>
(confirm exchange) <F2> <Enter>

When running, it's a bit different:

Call a CQ with F1, type the callsign, hit the Insert key to send my
exchange.  If there is no correction to the Callsign, hit the space bar, the
exchange is automatically filled in, if it's OK I leave it alone, and then
press the big + key on the right of the keyboard to log the Qso(instead of
Enter) and send the TU&QRZ (F3) message with a single keystroke.

<F1> callsign <Insert> <Space> (confirm exchange)  <+>

It seems that this is a minimum amount of keystrokes for both operations and
I'm in control of what's happening - not the computer.

If I need to re-send my callsign, I press F4.  If I need to re-send my
exchange, I press F2.  The function of a key never changes.

I've been doing the above for a long time now, and am willing to change, if
it improves what I'm doing.

Please educate me on how to streamline what I'm doing.

N5NJ