[WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:49:50 -0600
Hi Jim --

   I can't figure out where the "extra keystroke" is that you are discussing.
(You must understand that I have never used TRlog.)
Assuming one doesn't make any typing mistakes, the sequence for running is:
1. push a key to call CQ.  (You can configure WL in different ways, depending
on which key you want to push.)
2. hear a station reply and type in his call.
3. push a key to send the call & exchange.
4. hear the station's exchange and type it in, using Space or Tab to move from
the callsign field to the various exchange fields.
5. push a key to send the TU message AND simultaneously save the QSO in the log.

   Similarly, for S&P:
1. hear a station, type in his call, hit space to check for dupe (and get ready
to log the exchange).
2. push a key to call him.
3. hear the station's exchange and type it in, using Space or Tab to continue
moving around the various exchange fields.
4. when you are satisfied that all the data, including the call, has been
entered correctly and the station has completed the QSO
with you, push a key to save the QSO in the log.

   What am I missing here?

   You suggested a message "Do you want to log the existing call?" if one types
in the callsign field when there is an apparently
valid call & exchange in the QSO Entry form.  I do not see how that can work.
How does the software distinguish between when one is
typing in the callsign field to correct an entry... and typing to make a new
QSO without having completed the previous QSO?

-- Eric K3NA