[WriteLog] Re: [acom-list] Acom tools, SO2R and WriteLog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: [acom-list] Acom tools, SO2R and WriteLog
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Thu May 29 10:36:04 2003
Comments interspersed below:

On 29 May 2003 at 9:43, Eric Scace  K3NA wrote:

> Hi folks --
>
>    I made an attempt to get Acom Tools working with WriteLog last
>    week, but wasn't successful.  Perhaps someone can provide a few
> tips.
>
>    Here is the configuration:
>
> -- SO2R station
> -- two Acom amps
> -- WinXP confuser runs WriteLog and the Acom Tools app.
> -- no Acom antenna switching hardware.
>
>    Frankly, this is a pretty limited improvement for a SO2R station.
>    The main advantage of the Acom Tool on the computer is that I
> won't have to send a dit to cause the amp to change bands... and maybe
> the Acom control panels can be removed from the operating position to
> reduce clutter.  But it's a chance to learn something...
>
>    Questions:
>
> 1.  Can two instances of Acom Tools be running simultaneously, each of
> which talk to a different Acom amp on a different COM port?

Don't know about the two instances.
Acom Tools works fine on my WIn98 computer, but is flaky on my WinXP
computer. Sometimes it partially works (changing frequency works, but
power display doesn't), sometimes it doesn't. Some folks seem to have
no trouble with XP, per discussion at Dayton

> 2.  Should the cable connecting the computer's serial port to the Acom
> be a straight-through or cross-over cable?  I'm not seeing any
> successful communication between the computer and the Acom.

As I recall, you need a "custom" cable using only 3 wires - gnd, TXD
and RXD. I have my documentation at home, so if you don't get a more
definitive answer by tonite, I'll look up the details, assuming I can
find it :.)

>    Thanks for any tips from those who have used Acom Tools with
>    WriteLog.
>
> 73,
>   -- Eric K3NA

I've also been told that Gerry, W1VE, is working on his own
controller program. No idea when it will be available.
73,
Barry, W2UP--