Re: [WriteLog] More QTC Improvements

To: doncassel@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] More QTC Improvements
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:02:42 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/2003 7:43:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
doncassel@compuserve.com writes:

Don, tnx for the note.

> Writelog already does this in the QSO Entry window as you enter a new call.
> It tells you how many QTCs you can send to the current station. So you don't
> need to keep the log open or count anything in your head. I would go crazy
> doing this. :-)

For sure, you are correct. Once a call is keyed into the log entry line, it
does display the number of QTCs that can be sent to that station.? The problem
I have it that I would like to know the total number of unsent QTCs WITHOUT
having to key in the call sign.? That is what is needed, in my opinion.

I spend a lot of time running in this contest as opposed to S&Ping.  I don't
like to break a run unless I have accumulated 10 QTCs.  Therefore, I am always
focusing on whether or not I have 10 unsent ones.

It is a bit different when S&Ping, I believe. When Pouncing, it is probably
best to go ahead and send a partial batch of QTCs when requested.

> Regarding improvements, I would like to see an ability to send repeats on
> time, call or number from within the QTC window. Currently (as I understand
> it) to repeat you can either repeat everything by clicking the line or using
> the Alt key or using the CW keyboard (which I use) or an external key.
>
> The other thing I run into which is really my operating fault is to exit the
> QTC window after sending the QTCs and then the European station comes back
> and asks for a repeat. I should wait for a confirmation before exiting but
> in the heat of battle don't always wait. This means that I need to quickly
> find the entry in the log, which is not all that easy, and then resend it
> using the CW keyboard. The other guy is probably wondering why I'm taking so
> long. Being able to bring up the previous set of QTCs would help in this
> situation.

You are correct on these issues.  Sending repeats is tricky, most of all if
you have already "OK'd" the batch of QTCs.  Then, you truly have to go back
into the log window to find the correction.

> I applaud the way QTCs are handled though and you are right, that without
> this fine program many of us might take a pass on WAE contests or a least
> say NIL QTCs.

QTCs are why I enter this contest.  Back before the days of WL, I would avoid
the WAE like the plague!

73, Geo...

George I. Wagner, K5KG
Productivity Resources LLC