RE: [WriteLog] CQ WW 160 CW - Robot Problem - Writelog

To: "'Write Log'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] CQ WW 160 CW - Robot Problem - Writelog
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:55:07 -0500
All:

First, I agree that Writelog is a great product,
and we wouldn't be using it at the Signal Point /
PJ2T station if we didn't think it was the best
contesting software available.

However, let's not get into a mode where we hesitate
to report problems found. That's not respectful of
the programmers' efforts, that's just plain stupid!

Software the size and complexity of Writelog will
always have problems. Every change could uncover or
create new problems in areas previously unseen.
Testing before release is, be necessity, limited
compared to software development teams with tens
of members and man-months of testing time for each
release.

People seem to want to tippy-toe for fear of offending
the Writelog authors: bullhockey! Software folk strive
for perfection, as do their users. Solving a minor
problem now might prevent it from blooming into
a full-fledged week-long debugging marathon later.

73,

  Jeff Maass  K8ND

  Station Manager
  Caribbean Contesting Consortium - PJ2T