RE: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?

To: <w5xd@writelog.com>,"Writelog@Contesting. Com" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:19:46 -0800
Hi Wayne,

I used CT and then NA for 11 years before switching to WL. I tried TR and
gave up on it very quickly because I did NOT like the "modes" approach. I
found the transition to WL using the CT compatible feature to be fairly easy
once the hardware was working. My vote is that you forget about implementing
"modes." Let me make one exception - in the sprint there is a place for a
mode function, but it is already in the program. All you need to do is set
up two exchange messages, one for answering a CQ and one for when someone
answers your CQ.

I really haven't used WL long enough, about a year now, to comment on how
useful the zoom feature would be. I keep forgetting to set the expiration
time longer for the bandmap and spots usually disappear before I make a 2nd
pass S&Ping on the 2nd radio.

As far as docking goes, I just make the edit window smaller if I need more
space. I have just gone to using two monitors, so that is virtually a
non-issue for me now. I like having a BIG Super Check Partial window at the
bottom of the main screen and the mult window up all the time on the 2nd
monitor. I would like to be able to display multiple mult windows so I can
see, for instance, zones and countries needed at the same time. With two
monitors, there is enough real estate to actually do this.

Update the software in real time? That's totally bogus. More than bogus,
that is ridiculous. The LAST thing I am going to do is download a new
version of software in the middle of a contest. Updates are great, but there
always seems to be a bug that creeps in. I am satisfied with the frequency
of updates and the beta process.

I do see a benefit to embedding ALL updated files in with an upgrade. If you
don't upgrade right before a contest, and my opinion is you should not, you
can still download updated mult files by themselves.

The bottom line is twofold:

1. You can't please all of the contesters all of the time, and
2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT