Re: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?

To: w5xd@writelog.com, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:00:38 +0000
Wayne, et al

Comments interspersed.

At 02:29 AM 2/5/2004 +0000, W. Wright, W5XD wrote:
I am interested in what current WriteLog users think might be changed in
WriteLog with respect to the comparison in this review:

The specific points I wonder if I should pursue further are:

1. The reviewer thinks that "modes" in the program are good. That the
program should change its response to certain keystrokes based on whether it
is in the S&P mode or the Run mode. It has been my opinion for a very long
time that modes cause more problems than they solve?

No, I want the WL interface to be consistent. I take care of having a different response for Running and S&P if I want by setting up different messages. And I have standardized on just that for the past year. I may call CQ on a clear spot to test the waters right in the middle of S&P. I don't want the software second guessing what my intent is. It will always be WRONG.

2. zooming of the bandmap. how useful is this to you?

No, useless. I can set the pixel size right now for whatever seems useful and how big I want the window to be on my screen so I have all the control needed anyway.

3. The reviewer takes away points from WL because its windows can be docked
instead of floating on the desktop. Surely I should not remove this feature
from WL?

Leave it alone.

The user has their choice of docked or floating windows right now so you can do whatever pleases you. I would not like to have just one choice - say all docked. I use lots of floating windows! But occasionally I will dock one because for that contest there is extra space.

4. The review takes away points from WL because we don't update the software
in real time during contest weekends and "updates come out infrequently". I
have been reasonably happy with our beta test/release process (which
routinely catches a number of bugs before they go out to thousands of
users), but that process pretty much guarantees that from a request to a
commercial release is a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks as that's how long it takes
to get through the beta test process. Would users really prefer that the
beta tests be publically available?

Keep your system of beta testing. It works just fine. I don't expect changes often because they would just be the wishes of a vocal minority. When something was critical to an upcoming contest, you have been very responsive to fix a "dead in the water" type problem.

This is production software not a sandbox. I am sick of beta testing for Microsoft!

When I download a large program I expect some assurance that it will work. And I am going to install it several weeks before a major contest. And I use it before hand to see what is new and try out new features to see if I want to use them. I would never change software during a contest. I am getting so I don't even turn off the computers at night during a contest. The other nite I turned off my Linear at night and it would not power up the next morning.

5. The reviewer had 3 or 4 month old information regarding the way we manage
the country files and multiplier files, so his specific complaints are
inaccurate, but it still raises the question of how that should be done. The
WriteLog FULL distributions have copies of those files that were current
when the distribution was created, and the UPGRADE distributions do NOT have
the files at all. This means that you have to download the new files, and
you get notices on writelog@contesting.com when they change. I don't think
its a good idea to embed those files in the UPGRADE installs because I think
there should be exactly one way for a user to get the latest files and some
users don't upgrade right before the contest, and some users upgrade their
software, but not necessarily to the most recent version (and so would get
old files if the UPGRADE had them).

Keep it the way it is.

The issue here is what caused me to try to keep the namedmul.ini file current for every one. We all update these files at our convenience. When you load a Full distribution once a year you can clean up after it if you don't like the files it loaded. But with just an upgrade, I don't want the upgrade writing over files that I have just made the way I want them. That is, again don't second guess the user- you will always be wrong.

I invite email comments to any or all of the above, either direct or on the
reflector. I personally value thoughtful answers the most (and prettymuch
ignore flames and my-dog-is-better-than-your-dog comments) and I try to
thoughtfully consider recommendations. However, I don't promise any action
or even a response to any email (and I confess that I am guilty as charged
in the review of not answered 100% of all email queries I get--I have no
excuse.)

Thanks for your consideration,
Wayne, W5XD

------------------------------------------ Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC http://www.pixos.com/designs/RadioTuner/ jpixton@shentel.net ------------------------------------------