RE: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?
From: Kurszewski Chad-WCK005 <Chad.Kurszewski@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:31:05 -0600
> 1. The reviewer thinks that "modes" in the program are good.

I see there is some strong opposition to this, but I will
echo and fully agree with what W2CS said:

  This one should be a no-brainer.  Purely from a marketing
  and business case perspective, the lack of mode sensitivity
  is likely the single largest obstacle to getting TRLog users
  to move to WL.  There are a lot of TRLog users who would like
  an alternative.  For that reason alone there ought to be the
  capability (NOT FORCED ON US) to run WL in a mode-sensitive manner.

The "NOT FORCED ON US" emphasis is mine.  Make the mode available,
but make it another .ini switch, with the default to off so
all of the old-time WL users won't get their panties in a
bunch.

Also, I don't think that every MM user is a TR convert, so
it's obvious that some people like this feature, not just TR
people.

> 2. zooming of the bandmap. how useful is this to you?

People are disagreeing to this, but what I don't understand
is that, if you don't use it, what's the problem if it's
there?  I for one would love the zoom feature.  Let me tell
you why.  In CW (or RTTY) contests, the stations are packed
together very closely (especially when receiving packet spots).
What I get on my screen is a huge stack of callsigns with
these lines going to a very small area on the dial.  It's
difficult to tell which call is on what freq.  Sure, go
into the .ini file and change the pixels per khz.  But
then on SSB, the spacing is far too wide, as the stations
are (approximately) spaced every 1-2kHz instead of every
250-500 Hz.  So now I have to go back into the .ini, change
the setting, and restart the program for it to take effect.
ZOOM would be nice to change this on the fly.  Also, W2CS
made another good suggestion that, while running, he'd
like to see the entire bandmap.  But if I was S&Ping, I'd
want to zoom in close to see who's where.

Add the feature.  If you don't want to use it, don't!
Same thing for the CQ/S&P mode stuff.

> 4. The review takes away points from WL because we don't
> update the software in real time during contest weekends and
> "updates come out infrequently".

1)  New feature releases have been coming out in a timely
    fashion.  Everything is fine here.
2)  Any previous feature that is broken, new feature that does
    not work as advertised, or new problem found should be
    fixed and released ASAP, not waiting for a
    "new feature" release.

Chad WE9V