Re: [WriteLog] low tones

To: "Ron St.Laurent ND5S" <r.stlaurent@comcast.net>,writelog@contesting.com, "Jerry Pixton" <jpixton@shentel.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] low tones
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:42:46 -0600
A couple of comments on the Pro II.

1) The audio inputs and outputs are not consistent
    a) When you go to LSB-D, you can no longer use the mic input, you must use
the rear panel input
    b) When you go to RTTY, the fixed level audio out is shut off.  Most
dissappointing.
2) The rtty TPF seems to work real well, but it's not easy on the ears to
listen to.
3) Using the LSB-D mode over the last two weekends, I seem to be able to decode
more than I can hear - literally.

I was calling CQ on 10 meters yesterday and listening for responses instead of
watching the screen.  I reached up and pressed the F1 button, and noticed that
VE9DX's callsign was on the screen a couple of times.  I stopped my CQ, sent
him an exchange and logged a QSO with a station my ears could not detect at
all.  This is cool stuff.

I'm running Writelog with MMTTY, and the computer is an IBM 600E Notebook
running Win98SE.  Audio in & out on the DIN connector on the back of the Pro II
and using a Microham USB interface for PTT & rig control.

73,
Bob N5NJ