Re: [WriteLog] low tones

To: "Ron St.Laurent ND5S" <r.stlaurent@comcast.net>,<writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] low tones
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:51:37 +0000
Ron, et al

Yes, it is a neat toy. And IMHO that is just what it is. I used the rtty mode for about a year and used the special twin peak filter when things really got tough. BUT I could not stand to listen at the increased audio processing noise that came along with the filter. It drove me crazy. If I really needed the twin peak I had to turn my headset audio OFF. Maybe that is a problem with my radio, I haven't asked others about the audio processing noise when using the twin peak filter. (By way of comparing, I just got the MFJ audio processor which also has a twin peak filter that is quiet). And the regular rtty filters, even set at 100 hz are terrible compared to the "Brickwall" filters that Icom runs in LSB-D. I gave it my trail under fire on 20m this week end (had one radio doing mostly s&p on 20m). Only a very few times would I hear a REALLY strong station off frequency that was audible but that still did not interfere with copying the message. Not at all like the rtty mode performance where everyone several kHz away pumps the AGC.

I am just learning to live with the downsides, I will continue to use LSB-D until someone can tell me how to trick the rig to use the data filters in RTTY mode. Best of all worlds, some firmware that moves that nice data filter up to 2210 hz so that FSK can be used.

Jerry, W6IHG