Re: [WriteLog] What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery unraveled

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery unraveled
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:27:28 -0500
Hello,

I've been hesitating to jump in on this thread as my sentiments regarding AFSK and FSK are the same as George's, W1ZT. However, since George broke the ice, here is my two cents. And like George described I adjust the tones to use AFSK and narrow filters.

The advantage of AFSK to FSK for contesting was recently brought out to me while being part of the WPX multi two operation from KM4M (aka K4JA). FSK was used with the FT1000MPs and Orion. Several times doing S&P the targeted station would be good copy, but couldn't be worked. When operating at K4JA and you can't work a station that is good copy after the third call you start to wonder if something is wrong. What was wrong in all cases is that I had gotten use to having the Net capability of MMTTY with AFSK at the home QTH. At K4JA the xmit. freq. was off enough for the targeted station being able to copy others better. This was noticed the most with 500 Hz filters. Only noticed it once or twice using the 250 Hz filters. Yes, in all instances once the xmit freq. was readjusted, the target station was worked.

Regarding spotting; listening and tuning are required. In addition to George's spotting comments, another situation requiring listening and tuning is when a rare DX station/mult. comes back to my CQ. I'll spot him at 14080 kHz for instance if it is the 20 meter band rather than on my calling freq. This type of spot is to let others know that the rare DX/mult has been heard on the band, but is doing S&P.

Having followed George with my similar comments, please flame him and not me