RE: [WriteLog] Autosave

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Autosave
From: "James M. Galm" <jmgalm@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:58:11 -0500
My understanding and experience is that WL saves every contact to a journal
file as each contact is logged, regardless of the setting of Autosave.  When
the user executes a File->Save action, or the Autosave QSO counter is
reached, the uncopied contents of the journal file are copied to the log
file.  Based on this program action, setting Autosave to 1 is not necessary,
since every QSO is saved in a file as it is logged, even with Autosave
disabled, in the manner of TR.

In serious, high rate contest situations, I normally leave Autosave off.
When there is a slow period or when changing bands, I will execute a
File->Save action.  In casual situations, I'll sometimes set Autosave to
about 50.

WL's behavior in this regard is consistent with the standards and specs for
correctly designed Windows apps.  The idea is that a proper Windows app will
never change a user file unless instructed to do so by the user.  The
journal file takes care of insuring that no logged QSOs are ever in danger
of being lost.  Autosave stretches the Windows app specs a little, but many
of Microsoft's own apps make the same stretch available to users.

Jim, W8WTS.