RE: [WriteLog] WL 10.45m and ARRL DX SSB Contest

To: eric@k3na.org
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] WL 10.45m and ARRL DX SSB Contest
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:55:53 -0500

At 12:39 PM 3/11/2004 -0500, Eric Scace K3NA wrote:

I can comment on a few of Eric's items, and hope others will have additional suggestions.

- Split window: There is no way to change the pop-up window location at present. It's only intended to be a temporary pop-up to
accept the data and go away. It doesn't track the second VFO.

It's the location that bothers me. I'd like to put it just above the QSO window, which I put at the bottom of the screen. I can move it once it's up, but can't have it come up in the desired position.

- Second VFO freq: One workaround is to open a second bandmap on the second VFO. Use the menu entry Window/Bandmap on 2nd VFO to
turn this bandmap on. While this doesn't show the exact frequency, it gives you an idea of where you are -- which is more than you
have today.

I'm looking for something like the N1MM SO2V (single op-two VFOs) mode, or some indication that I'm in the split mode. More below...

- Revert to simplex when tuning away: People have different expectations for this. I actually don't want the revert back to
simplex! 99% of the time I am operating split on 75m or 40m. That means if the radio reverts to simplex, I will be transmitting
out of band.

I think I missed spoke on this one. It's not an issue when I stay in a band, it's when I cahange bands. I'm a signficantly little pistol and, in some contests (e.g. ARRL DX) a semi rare mult. I often move from band-to-band on per-station basis, so that's where I get burned.

Nevertheless, you can get what you want by using two INI file instructions. Here is the data from the 10.45 Help file. These
entries go in the [ENTRY] section of the INI file (for radio 1) or [ENTRY2} for radio #2.

Not sure I understand, but there's time to figure this out!

"Distance radio must tune in order to say its is "tuning" the band. Set this to zero and WriteLog will not clear the Entry window
when the radio is tuned.

AutoClearOnTuneMinHz=200

"If you tune closer than AutoFillFromBandmapHz to a bandmap station, the Entry window will be auto-filled from his frequency. Set
this to zero and WriteLog will not auto fill. AutoClearOnTuneMinHz set to zero will disable AutoFillFromBandmap as well.

AutoFillFromBandmapHz=400

Don't think these were my issues. I actually thought this was a cool feature. I didn't use packet, instead putting stations I heard but didn't/couldn't work into the bandmap.

"With AutoSetToSplitFromBandMap set nonzero, WriteLog will set the rig to the split frequency in the bandmap as you tune across
it. AutoFillFromBandmapHz must be non-zero for this to function.
AutoSetToSplitFromBandMap=0

Same as above, but good to know.

"TuningDetectionCount is the number of consecutive polls of the rig that must be tuning to decide the operator really is tuning.

TuningDetectionCount=3

Thanks!

-- F12: This return is intended to function when you grab a spot. After you have worked (or attempted and given up working) the
spot, hit F12 to return to the previous frequency. I don't believe it is currently designed as a "roll me back to my previous
frequency" after you've typed in a new one to go off to a sked.

One workaround is to save your current frequency using the store & recall buttons in the S&P memories window. The window can be
opened from the Window menu.

Thanks. This confused me.

-- Bandmap resizing: This is not very dynamic. The INI file entry "PixelsPerKhz=16" sets the number of vertical pixels for 1 kHz
on the map. I change mine for different modes, and use a compromise setting in a multi-mode contest such as IARU or the upcoming
RDXC.

Oh well...

-- HOME: Try creating a keyboard shortcut for HOME. The command you want is "EntryGetsFocus".

It worked everywhere exceptthose times when my curosr was in the bandmap window.

-- The schedule window does undock. I think it's a little fussier than some of the others, but you can find a hot spot on the edge
that gives you the little rectangle icon for undocking the window. The window works all the time; i.e., you can create a sked,
close it, and it will pop open 5 minutes before the next chronological sked. I don't understand why this is not working for you.

Thanks... will try.

BTW, the schedule window is the tool to use to pass stations around in a multi-op environment. Click on "S" and it auto-fills in
the call. Add the frequency and you're done; the sked window will start flashing on the screen of the appropriate operator(s).
This is similar to the Alt-D Pass function of CT. For those who are CT-literate, you can create a keyboard shortcut for Alt-D the
invokes the command "EntryMakeASked" to cause the schedule setting function to pop-up immediately. (I only learned this trick
recently myself.)

I used it when folks would ask me to be somewhere at a specific time.

-- Eric K3NA

Thank you Eric.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC