Re: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: WriteLog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:48:32 +0000

Steve Gorecki wrote:

> With the power of Writelog and it's networking, I have a suggestion in
> improving the networking flexability of WL.
sniped

> Basically, I would suggest picking a free port number (high number such as
> in the 5000 range, 8000 range, whatever), and have WL connect by IP address
> only.

Better be careful here. Some of the high ports do not take kindly to
even being interrogated, much less written to. You can easily wipe out
a disk if you choose the wrong one. ( believe me on this...I did it )

> The benefit of using IP addresses (and port#), is that now we would be able
> to network across the internet directly to other stations (club stations
> take note...) With proper DSL or cable router configuration, I could connect
> my WL station to someone in another state (or province in my case)

I may not understand this fully, but it seems to suggest a number of
stations could enter in the M/M category. Now, just imagine a W1, a
JA, a W6, a P4 and a Eu station in the 160 contest, or for that matter
almost any contest.

Otherwise, very well thought out suggestions.

73
Ed