[WriteLog] Cut numbers

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Cut numbers
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:59:40 -0400
Hello All!

When I first saw AK0A,s repsonse my thought was, oh not another long drawn
out discussion about cut numbers. Contesting is a competitive sport. The
obvious advantage of cut numbers is ultimately a higher score (maybe).

Cut numbers is one of those double edged swords just as high speed cw is.
The high side is increase in stations worked as long as one can sustain a
queue of stations that will respond to high speed cw and/or cut numbers.

There are really two down sides.

One is loss of Qs with stations that won't/can't do high speed or cut
numbers. Lots of thoughts here. Some of the top ten ops will reduce their
code speed when the pile ups thin out. Some will reduce their speed in
response to a QRS response or request to QRS. Some continue merrily on their
way at 40WPM. I don't know if anyone who uses cut numbers shifts that
practice when the big pile ups dissapate. I personally limit my use to T=0
and N=9. If I went beyond that, I think I would fall back to just those as
the pileups diminish.

The second down side is the possible loss of new contesters who interpret
the reluctance of some of us to QRS or to speak proper Morse (whatever
proper Morse is!) as meaning we don't care whether they are there or not.

Just my own thoughts. I don't plan to stop using limited cut numbers. Maybe
we need a Q signal for "send the exchange without cut numbers! QCN

73 de Larry K7SV