RE: RE: [WriteLog] Problem with XP service pack2?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: RE: [WriteLog] Problem with XP service pack2?
From: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:03:17 -0000
The list of problem applications (major ones) is available on the
microsoft SP2 web site.

Let me give you a serious word of warning.

DO NOT allow SP2 to install automagically with a bunch of "protection"
software
running.  I did this accidentally.  It called me a thief for a week.  Then
after
I convinced Microsoft I was not a thief and they gave me a code to activate,
that worked.  EACH AND EVERY TIME I DID IT FOR OVER A MONTH.

Then, after weeks of struggling I finally got one of the Indian geniuses who
understood how to help with the problem and could speak enough red neck that
I could understand him.  He stayed on the phone with me for 3 1/2 hours.

We proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Norton, WinPatrol, SpyBot, etc.
etc.
are not good things to all have going, when they are trying to protect your
system directory and registry from attack and at least one of them
interpreted
the installation of SP2 as an attack.

We deleted registry settings, wrong files in the system directory.  Replaced
missing files from the system directory. It was a mess.

Install manually with NO protections turned on or you to could go through
this
hell.

Bob
N4HY