RE: [WriteLog] Shifted F-Key SSB Messages Not Working

To: "Jerry Pixton" <jpixton@shentel.net>,"Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Shifted F-Key SSB Messages Not Working
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:19:36 -0800
Jerry:

Thanks for the clarification. My mindset associated each record-on-the fly
with the classic first set of SSB slots, even though I myself--just
yesterday-- have used one slot to generate snippets for inclusion in message
strings in the second slot set. As you say, one can define any allowed
operation with any allowed key. Most ops will stay with the original set as
a basis to take full advantage of record-on-the -fly during the contest, but
the keys could be reprogrammed to access the second set of locations--or any
other available function.

I was among those begging for an explanation of how to use the second set on
phone. Now that I "think" I know how, I see a lot of repeats of those
requests from others and was trying to pass the info on.

As an example, I just recorded HELLO in F6 as <msg6.wav> (the default),
using Shift-F6. I then opened Setup/CW/RTTY/SSB Messages and defined shifted
SSB location F4 as <msg6.wav>. I then opened Tools/Keyboard Shortcuts and
defined GRAVE (the left-most key in the number row) as MessageShiftPh04.
Now, pressing either F6 or GRAVE plays HELLO. But of course that location is
not limited to a single .wav file and a much more complex message can be
built in that location, as with the other 19.

Now that we understand how to use these ten new locations, considerable
texture can be added to automatic voice operation. Many ops will continue to
use only the CQ (or different CQ's) and their callsigns, and kiss off
sculpting a set of .wav files. But for those of us trying to keep the peace
when the hamshack is next to the master bedroom, this adds more capability.

Garry, NI6T