[WriteLog] Scoring Mystery

To: "WriteLog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Scoring Mystery
From: "Jim Bowman" <ks1j@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:51:35 -0000
Upon completing the CQWW last week,  I went about submitting the score to my
club and to the 3830 Reflector. I use Writelog 10.47E. I used the Writelog
Band Summary as the source for the club score and the Summary Report as the
source for the 3830 reflector. I discovered that the Writelog Band Summary
window was giving me zone credit for two Q's in which I had somehow blanked
out the zone. During the contest I had configured the "Enter Send
exchange/QRZ" option to facilitate running. So when S+Ping I made frequent
use of both SHIFT+ENTER and CTRL+ENTER to "silently enter the QSO" (per the
documentation). What I didn't know was that CTRL+ENTER won't let you enter
the QSO if a required field is missing but the SHIFT+ENTER function sure
will. This I now understand: SHIFT+ENTER will force just about anything into
the log. What I don't understand is the Band Summary
accepting invalid blank zones as legitimate while the batch report correctly
ignored them.

If I had decided not to run off the batch report, I would never had
discovered this problem.

Jim, KS1J