Re: [WriteLog] Intermittent PTT Dropout

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>,"'Mike'" <k4gmh@arrl.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Intermittent PTT Dropout
From: "Don Cassel" <ve3xd@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:31:36 -0500
Mine mostly happens when I am running. It usually occurs just after the CQ
message begins. Interestingly I can sometimes operate for an hour or more
without it happening then it will occur several times. But there is no
regular pattern. It can also happen when sending my exchange or replying to
a caller. I've tried a lot of variations such as using auto cq, lower power,
different message lengths, different setup configurations and nothing either
fixes it or lets me reproduce it at will. It seems to have a mind of its
own.

I once thought maybe it was interrupted because of either the packet or
bandmap activity but going without those didn't matter either. Now I just
keep a finger close to the Esc key (because you need to finish a message
before the next can be sent) so when the PTT drops I hit Esc and then the
function key to resend the message. That way little time is lost. But
sometimes it drops immediately after this key sequence and you need to do it
all over again. Sigh.

Don VE3XD