Re: [WriteLog] Removing mult

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Removing mult
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:54:04 -0900
Jim,
Segment from your email below:
"Each state is a mult. Alaska and Hawaii too are also multipliers because
they are states. Not because they are DX.."

Hate to burst your bubble, but I just found out from the ARRL contest desk
the exact opposite.  In the RTTY RU, AK and HI are DX, not US states!  Found
this out AFTER giving out reports as the state of AK instead of a serial
number.  According to Dan, N1ND, "Rule 5.2 is very specific that KL7 and KH6
participate as DXCC entities, not states".

I have respectfully disagreed with Dan's contention.  Rule 5.2 is in the
"Multipliers" section.  What needs clarification is Rule 4, the "Exchange"
section.

Rule 4.1. United States: Signal report and State. (Last time I checked HI
and AK ARE STATES!)
Rule 4.3. DX: Signal report and consecutive serial number, starting with
001.  (Last time I checked HI and AK are also DX on the DXCC list!)

So, WHICH IS IT?  After reading the rules on Exchange, I know that AK and HI
are both states and DX.  But I knew that before reading the rules.  I have
suggested to Dan that the Exchange section needs clarification that could be
easily done as follows:

Rule 4.1. United States, except KH6 and KL7: Signal report and State.
Rule 4.3. DX, including KH6 and KL7: Signal report and consecutive serial
number, starting with 001.

Under the current rules structure we must read all of the confusing Rule 5.2
gibberish about multipliers to infer from the final sentence of that rule
that AK and HI stations are considered DX for calculation of MULTIPLIERS.
Again, no clear statement of EXCHANGE!  I'm not worried about the
calculation of Multipliers, that's why I use WL in a contest to
automatically flag that for me!

If anyone else out there is periodically confused about the ARRL rules on
this topic, and I know that many are because I am constantly given
conflicting opinions in the middle of a contest about what I am or should be
sending for the exchange, PLEASE, contact Dan at contesting@arrl.org and
voice your opinion.  For some reason the ARRL seems to think this a really
big deal to get changed.
Gary AL9