[WriteLog] Update on WriteLog 10.57H install

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Update on WriteLog 10.57H install
From: "Richard Cariello" <rcariello@si.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 23:43:44 -0500
>From the responces I received I guess I'm doing something wrong. I still
>haven't been able to get the new Writelog 10.57H program to install on any of
>my computers useing Windows98se. The computers are somewhat on the old side
>being PII's at 300 and 400 MHz. This might be why I can't do the install.

To see what would happen I installed Windows XP Home edition on one of these
computers. WriteLog 10.57H installed without any trouble.

Now I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble of getting the User Port
program working. I understand this program allows Windows 2000 and XP to use
the LPT port for CW keying. The trouble I was haveing which started all these
upgrades and system changes in the first place is discribed on the WriteLog web
page and I am sure I will still have this problem even with the new program and
operating system Windows XP.

I only run WriteLog without any multi-tasking which made me think something
else was causeing the trouble. The processor being only a PII at 300 and 400
MHz may have helped to cause the problem.

MK-1100 MULTI-KEYER
  1.. CW generation independent of the processor load on your PC running
WriteLog. The "PC generates" CW option in WriteLog is vulnerable to timing
disruptions caused by multi-tasking on your PC. If you run only WriteLog during
your contesting operations, you probably won't hear any CW timing problems, but
some network drivers, CD writers, etc. have been known to multi-task poorly
enough to affect WriteLog's CW generation.
I was also told that MicroHam puts out a unit feed off the computers USB port
that will also solve this problem.
 http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/ck.html
I will have to see if this unit will work with my old computers

Thanks to everyone that responded to my request for help.
I hope this posting will be of some help to others.
Rich AA2MF