Re: [WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)

To: "John E Bastin" <jbastin@sssnet.com>,"WRITELOG REFLECTOR" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:24:06 -0500
John wrote:

> It has always baffled me, perhaps someone could explain, why one
> would beat one's head against the wall setting up a computer network
> to log on Field Day. I don't remember being on a Field Day operation
> where a particular band/mode combination was operated on more than
> one radio; therefore, there's no reason why any radio/log should need
> to know, or should care what has been worked at a different seat.
>
> At the end of the contest, the only thing we're turning in other than
> the bonus paperwork are the dupe sheets, listed by band and mode.
> Every computer/radio can easily operate as a single-transmitter
> operation with it's own log. You can print the dupe sheet out from
> each computer at the end, or move all the log files to one machine at
> the end and work with them after the fact (thumb drives work well for
> this, or perhaps someone has an external USB or IEEE 1394 drive to
> plug into each computer at the end to collect the logs).
>
> I've run networked computers and WriteLog in the comfort of my home
> for DX contests and the like, but I would never add to the complexity
> of Field Day (or increase the workload and reduce the fun) by trying
> to set one up under emergency power in the field. It just ain't
> necessary.
>
> As always in these discussions, YMMV.
>
> 73,
>

> J o h n   B a s t i n
> jbastin@sssnet.com

Thanks for the response John.

I believe the real reason for the network on FD is the issue of dupes.  Our log
has 278 dupes that called us on FD.  Obviously, these 278 stations share your
opinion on FD, and cannot run a paper dupe sheet either.  Our operation was a
2A, and was run much like a M/M in a real contest.  It's an opportunity to
introduce contesting to the locals without the intimidation that goes along
with the need to win.  The two positions were MKV radios and were equipped to
select between any one of 8 antennas set up that day.  Even the GOTA station
could participate in the fun.  Each of the positions would work CW or SSB.
Many of the Ops were capable of working either mode.

"necessary?"  No, a network is not necessary on FD.  But if it worked well it
would add to the enjoyment and commeraderie of the day.  "Network Gab" is a
blast on FD.  The network chatter causes bursts of laughter to break out all
the time.  And an excellent way for the ops to coordinate.  But it is the dupe
checking that was the driving force.

Normally, a peer-to-peer network on XP can be set up in a few minutes.  And the
network we set up on FD was no exception.  Using other commercial software is a
no-brainer on FD.  We could navigate from machine-to-machine flawlessly and
effortlessly.  But WL V10.59D simply would not cooperate.  Heck, we had one op
checking the local NWS maps using a nearby hotspot.  The network introduces
great fun actually.  That's why we wanted to use WL, on a network, on FD.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com