Re: [WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)

To: "John E Bastin" <jbastin@sssnet.com>,"WRITELOG REFLECTOR" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:02:01 -0500
John wrote:

> Apparently you misunderstand my opinion. Our Field Days definitely
> use computer logging, and we definitely check dupes. My point was
> that each band/mode can do its own dupe checking, but doesn't need to
> know about contacts made on any other band/mode. Contact with a
> station can be made once on each band, and according to Field Day
> rules, phone, cw and digital modes on a band are considered as
> separate bands (Field Day rule 6.3).
>
> Therefore, unless you use more than one radio at different times on
> the same band/mode, neither of the computers needs information from
> more than its own log. The GOTA station is a different callsign, so
> regardless of where its contacts occur, it only needs to worry about
> contacts in its own log.
>
> If, in your setup, one of the Mark Vs might work 40 cw, for instance
> and then later the other Mark V operated on 40 CW, then, yes, you
> needed the network.
>
> To me, an easier solution would be to designate a group of non-
> conflicting bands/modes for each radio, and avoid the potential dupe
> problem (and the need to network).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> 73,
>

> John E Bastin, K8AJS
> jbastin@sssnet.com

Each radio can operate any band and mode.  Add in a VHF setup and you have a 4
transmitter M/M in operation.  That pretty much describes our setup.   The Ops
drift from band to band to try and get stuff going.  Once they strike, we don't
like moving that station off its run frequency.  There are 3 horizontal
antennas and 3 verticals for  80-40-20 to achieve cross polarization and pack
these stations into a 350 ft radius circle.  All the transmitters are within
feet of one another and hooked to the same genset.  The VHF station sits on the
GOTA table looking for an opening on 6M, so the GOTA coach serves double duty
and monitors--if it opens he sounds the alarm and somebody on the bench grabs
the helm of the VHF station.

4 laptops.  OP1, OP2, GOTA, VHF, all tied to a separate MAIN.  We tried to use
OP1 as the main log but WL really complained at that.  And the handshaking
created all sorts of duplicate entries in the MAIN log.  About 68 entries were
recorded that showed one Q at one position and the same Q at another with a
different op's name attached to it.  These are WL bugs John.

Another comment on V10.59D.  This is the latest version.  Silly me...assuming
the latest would be the best.   My point to the post is that previous versions
did not have these weird issues.  I believe this is likely all attributable to
V10.59D and V10.59D only.  Henry commented at how flawlessly his setup worked.
Great!  He was running 10.47.  What he enjoyed, I expected.  There are a
hundred work arounds.  We chose NOT to attempt to reinstall 10.50D in the
middle of FD as being a workable solution.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com