Re: [WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)

To: WRITELOG REFLECTOR <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)
From: Artur Dworak <artur@awacs.setilabs.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:51:16 +0200

Hi OMs.

[..]

In past IARU HQ contest our team - SN0HQ used WL as network LOG.

About 15 or more MM stations connected to pile of servers.
Its serious configuration.

I'm pitty to be said, but setting WL is pain in the ass.
I'm not correct, It's VERY VERY BIG PAIN in asshole.

Instructions/documentation are hmmm.... misslegind about setting tomcat
server. And very outdated.

Idea about using SOPA and general XML is very cleaver but quality of
code is bad. Its very easy to tell that this application have more that
one codder.

After fighting about 2 years with this pile of shit I finaly have to
arange some friends and we preform some reverse eng ( ie decompilation )
of WL code to truly uderstand how and becouse this software is behaving.

I'm lost about month from my live proformimg some tweaks and compliling
  it again and aganin... Its hopeless situation. It can't be fixed now.

And IMHO this is last year when SN0HQ team will use WL as primary LOG.

We are still using 2 year old versions becouse it is "stable".
( read - we alredy know its bugs and have menaged to arange some
workarounds.. )

I can only ask Wayne and It's friends:

OMS, please. Back to desing desks, rework from groung networks parts of
WL. Its hopeless to fix it now..

I can post some smipets from code to proof this, but it better to tell
people truth that for now network code is simple broken and need to be
fixed soon.
And not to lie teling and frustrated many OMs promising things that
dasn't work.. Period.

And to clarifi things - I will not going to post/send to anyone souruce
code. Don't ask about it please.

And Wayne, think about posibility about opening Your sourcecode to
community... May be its only path WL to survive...

Vy! 73 de Artur SP5QA

> > Another comment on V10.59D.  This is the latest version.  Silly
me...assuming the latest would be the best.   My point to the post is
that previous versions did not have these weird issues.  I believe this
is likely all attributable to V10.59D and V10.59D only.  Henry commented
at how flawlessly his setup worked.  Great!  He was running 10.47.  What
he enjoyed, I expected.  There are a hundred work arounds.  We chose NOT
to attempt to reinstall 10.50D in the middle of FD as being a workable
solution.

Yes, You are correct Ford.