Re: [WriteLog] "It's broken"

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] "It's broken"
From: W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:06:21 -0500
At 06:37 AM 7/6/2006, you wrote:
>IMO, www.k9jy.com is "must reading" for WriteLog users.
>
>73, Mike K9MI

Good documentation would mean there would not have to be any
K9JY "must reading".  The fact that there is a need for additional
information is a strong indicator that the WL manual is inadequate
or incomplete.

But this is often the case with software, hence the large demand
for after-market books and manuals for almost all Windows programs.
In some ways, the author of software is the LAST person you want
writing the manual!  To the author everything is so "obvious" that it is
difficult to shift gears and write a manual for a first-time user.

But this is the classic problem of typical special-interest software,
because the market is so small, one person does everything.

So it is to everyone's benefit that K9JY has made the effort to
write the "WriteLog for Dummies" manual to supplement the
supplied documentation.

TR-Log by N6TR is off-putting because of the learning curve to USE
the software if one has been trained on CT.  WL is off-putting because
the reflector makes it seem that it is almost impossible to install the
software without a computer science degree.

Personally, I believe that you should not have to do any setup just
to make ANY software work.  Automatic installation would bring up the
software in a generic mode that is a "least common denominator"
for use by a beginner and that additional setup, such as ini file
manipulation, should only be needed to fine tune special features.

The good news is that WriteLog is so flexible, the bad news is that
WriteLog is so flexible.

But then these thoughts are by someone who has yet to install his
copy of WriteLog, and only knows what is posted on the reflector.
And what people post are the PROBLEMS and not the success stories.

I have not installed WriteLog because I have no antennas up yet, but
maybe I should get WriteLog running long before I get the antennas up
so that I can devote full time to the installation and setup.   ;-)

John  W0UN