Re: [WriteLog] Unclaimed QSOs were deleted from Cabrillo file

To: "Bruce King" <bruce@regis-consulting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Unclaimed QSOs were deleted from Cabrillo file
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:14:58 -0800
I have to disagree partly with Bruce and Ed and agree with Jerry. If you
claim credit for a Q that has errors, you deserve whatever penalty the
contest sponsor assigns. If you know you have missed some information, you
should be able to disclaim credit for the Q without additional penalty and
without risking a NIL for the other guy. It is not necessarily your fault -
the other guy may have split without answering your request for a fill. You
should not be penalized for doing the right thing, leaving the Q in your log
for checking purposes but not for credit. It's similar to submitting a check
log in which you disclaim credit for any Q but provide log checking data. I
think it is a weakness, probably of Cabrillo, that you can't do this.

73,

/Rick N6XI

On 1/22/07, Bruce King <bruce@regis-consulting.com> wrote:

> After the UK-DX RTTY contest was over I noticed a couple of blank serial
> nr spaces in my WriteLog log, so thought I would "unclaim"
>
> them to simplify the contest committee's log check process and to avoid
> any penalty to me for reporting a bad exchange.
>

> After WL created the Cabrillo file, I discovered they had been
> completely removed!!!
>

> Whazzup with that? Those two stations I worked don't deserve any NIL
> penalty just because I screwed up logging the exchange! And I don' t(?)
> deserve a penalty either.
>

> Hi Jerry,
>

> Not sure I agree with you. As you said, "I screwed up logging the
> exchange". Seems to me you should get dinged. Having a blank entry is no
> different than having an incorrect entry.
>

> 73 Bruce W1CSM

"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."