Re: [WriteLog] Win XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Win XP
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 06:58:08 -0700
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
To: "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:37 AM
Subject: [WriteLog] Win XP

> One of these days I am going to have to retire my current
> Win 98 radio
> computer for logging and contesting and begin using either
> my current WinXP
> or a newer Vista computer. I have resisted changing
> because the Win 98
> computer will send CW on the LPT port of the old 98
> machine. I have a
> FT1000MP that interfaces nicely with Writelog and DXBase,
> my logging
> program. I am not interested in working RTTY, etc. My
> current XP machine has
> both LPT and serial ports.
>
> So what are my options when I change? It seems like, from
> what I read, I am
> going to have to buy a MicroHam Keyer for $175. This is
> not very palatable
> to me, but if I must...  Are there other options less
> expensive and
> complicated?

One option is to download and install the program Direct
I/O, which will give you access to the printer port under
XP. I don't know about Vista. The program has a free trial,
then it's $29. Download it here:
http://www.direct-io.com/

Then set it up like this (courtesy of k2qmf):

1 - Open the Direct I/O control panel.
2 - In the I/O Ports Tab enter the BEGIN and END address.
      For LPT1 it is  378  and  37A.
3 - Click ADD button ( This is the step they left out)..
4 - Go to the SECURITY Tab
5 - Click BROWSE button and locate writelog directory.
6 - From there locate writelog\Programs\WriteL32.exe and
click OPEN
7 - Click ADD.
8 - Close Control Panel...

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL