Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability

To: "Bob Henderson" <bob@5b4agn.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@ecpi.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:27:53 +0000
At K5NA multi-op efforts we have suffered with this also.

We typically run 4 or 5 computers in the network that is also
connected by telnet to a in-house DX Cluster network.

This year we stopped using the band map function because it seemed to
make the computers crash more often.

But occasionally the computers will crash, usually at an inopportune
time. This year, the worst crash I remember was during the best 15M
run for all weekend. This caused "runnus interruptus", of course.

A particular problem is when some of the computers go off the network
and cannot be reconnected normally. Sometimes we have to close and
restart Writelog on one or the other end of the connection, and
sometimes both. At other times this isn't enough and one or both
computers have to be shutdown and re-booted.

Also, sometimes, when we recover a "lost" computer, that computer
will repopulate the network with many, many duplicate QSOs. What
seems to happens is that sometimes the re-populated QSOs are sent
back with the frequency 1 kHz different than they were logged,
causing the whole mess to be added to the log. Sometimes I get pages
of duplicate QSOs back.

It is a mystery to me why this happens. Perhaps I should invite Wayne
to our next multi-op effort so he can get a handle on what is
happening. Wayne lives in the Austin area and is a member of the local club.

73, Richard - K5NA