Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability

To: "K7ZO (Scott Tuthill)" <k7zo@cableone.net>,<writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability
From: "Gerald Wilson" <gtwilson@integrity.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 06:22:17 -0000
Hi Scott K7ZO,

I am glad to hear about the success you have had networking WriteLog at
NK7U.   The "network reliability" and "networking" threads have received
much play on this reflector over the past few years especially after Field
Day, it seems.

There is always a controversy about the systems used including Windows OS
version, CPU speed, available RAM, WriteLog version, buss
traffic/collisions, TCP/IP versus other protocols, questions of RFI and
more.  There have been so many people with questions and concerns, while
there have not been many authoritative answers.  Thanks to Bob for asking
the question, if one could "reveal the secrets of their particular
[successful WriteLog] network set-up."  There has been a lack of information
coming through this channel about how to achieve a reliable network setup
judging by the postings.

I won't spend bandwidth here recounting our FD group's network issues.  I
would say that we have had networking problems 3 out of 4 years.  Doesn't
Murphy always visit on Field Day?   That one year was sweet!  Anyway try as
we might, we were not able to recreate that success of the one year when the
network functioned as it should.  I will say that in 2007, we had a ham on
site who works as a LAN admin at his workplace.  He was not able to
re-establish a stable, robust, and reliable network.  We have relied on the
Help files, other supporting website instructions, and e-mailed instructions
passed around from club to club.  The latter supposedly had the "straight
scoop" on WriteLog networking.  As the cliche goes, "Still no joy."

Please elaborate on the instructions (or the source of the instructions) you
or the NK7U-LAN administrator have used to achieve a stable, robust, and
reliable network using WriteLog.  Thank you for the points you have already
contributed.

73,

    Jerry    K7VIT

A pleased WriteLog owner for over 5 years.