Re: [WriteLog] Writelog's Future with PSK31

To: "Alec Otulak" <sp2ewq@wp.pl>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog's Future with PSK31
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:29:46 -0000
Hi Alec,

You are missing the point here. WL does an EXCELLENT job on it's own, and
really does NOT need any additional "bells & whistles" to "improve" it.

I was merely suggesting that there is nothing stopping you opening another
program to get a full spectrum of what is happening on the band.

Personally, I only had the second window open to see what else was around.
The problem with that is - being a wide band decode - you can't always see
the weaker stations with this second window. Most times, all you decode are
those stations who insist on using way too much power for a mode such as
PSK31. (And PLEASE do not let us get into a discussion of power levels and
PSK again!)
The advantage of WL is that it offers way superior decoding, so you get to
work stations you would not otherwise hear.

My suggestion was to show that WL does NOT need to implement things which
are already available to you!

I am not going to suggest that WL cannot be improved, but it is up to the
individual to use whatever means they can to assist in ways which are
available readily.

An example of this may be that I sometimes open a second instance of MMTTY,
and choose a different "PROFILE" to see what differences are decoded. I have
sometimes opened MMVARI, just to see what difference that makes.

Does that imply a deficiency in WL? No, it does not, and nor should WL be
considered inferior simply because it is my choice to open a second MMTTY or
MMVARI window.

I hope that makes my position clear?

73 for now,

Phil GU0SUP