Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 59, Issue 45

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 59, Issue 45
From: "Rabbi Cy Stanway" <rabbicy@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:38:07 -0500
I have read, with interest, Alec's comments on some of the deficiencies of
the WL.  I do disagree with him in most respects as this is a contesting
program and it does that job perfectly.  However, I must completely agree
with him with respect to the help files.  They are poorly laid out and not
intuitive for the beginner, which I was about 4 weeks ago.  It took more
than one posting on the listserv to resolve what were, in retrospect, basic
issues.  For instance, I have not found anywhere clearly spelled out that
you need one port for rig control (i.e., frequency readout, qsy, etc.) and
one port for keying the radio.  It seems obvious but not if you don't have
experience with it.

As far as the F key issues are concerned, I agree that it should be a bit
more obvious about what macro does what.  So, indeed, I have had to print
out a 3 X 5 card with what button does what macro.  Small inconvenience but
an inconvenience, nonetheless.

Once the program is set up and ready to go, it is wonderful but, Alec, it is
a contesting program.  Not a general QSO program.