Re: [WriteLog] Help with Spotting Please

To: "Mack" <mccormick_mack@hotmail.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Help with Spotting Please
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:25:22 -0900
Spotting should not be a problem in NAQP contests.  According to the contest
rules, Section 5. a) ii) "Access to spotting information obtained directly
or indirectly from any source other than the station operator, such as from
other stations or automated tools, is prohibited, except as follows:
Technological methods of copying the information in the contest exchange are
permitted as long as they are entirely contained within the station."

I interpret that to mean no use of packet or internet spotting clusters,
such as VE7CC, is allowed.  However within WL it is permissible to use
RittyRite to decode RTTY or CW exchange information.  It also seems
permissible to import "Preset Exchange from ADI file.." from a previous
contest to populate the Name and QTH fields.

In WL, under Contest/Show Multipliers... you can see which states,
provinces, dx countries, etc., are multipliers and which have been worked on
each band.  The problem with passing WL info on missing states, or sections,
from VE7CC is that the state/section info is passed to WL, but it doesn't
display in the Packet Spots window.  For example in Sweepstakes (where
spotting is allowed) mults are based on ARRL sections, but even if spots in
VE7CC contain state or section data info it is not used by WL in the Packet
Spots window.  About the best I've been able to do is keep the Packet Window
itself open on the screen and try to watch for needed state info there.

73,
Gary AL9A