Re: [WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:41:56 -0800
Hi Joe,

More food for thought.  Before I tried changing radio drivers I brought up
DxbPSK and used my Router (V7.6.0) preset for DXBase.  I left the Router
open on the desktop so I could watch the switching.  The "Voice/Digital
settings selector..." is set to "Use VOICE settings".  When I changed the
mode from either USB or LSB to LSB-D1 the Router instantly changes the black
outline boxes from VOICE to FSK/DIGITAL and the TX Monitor outline box from
DVK to DIGITAL.  The program sends PSK with no problem.

I then left DxbPSK running and changed the preset to WriteLog.  I changed
the "Voice/Digital settings selector..."  back to "Use VOICE settings" and
tried changing the modes on the radio.  When I selected LSB-D1 the Router
now changed the black outline boxes to the correct modes - FSK/DIGITAL and
DIGITAL in the TX Monitor.  When I changed back to USB or LSB the boxes jump
to VOICE and DVK.  Again this is with DxbPSK using the WriteLog presets.

I then went to the Router Ports tab and changed the radio driver to the
IC-7800 and changed the hex address from 6A to 7A the 7600 default address.
Changed the "Voice/Digital settings selector..."  box to "Use VOICE
settings".  In writelog.ini I changed [RIGS] to modify the hex code of the
IC-7800 to 7A.  Started WL and changed the Ports setting from IC-7600 to
IC-7800 and watched the black boxes on the Audio tab.

When I changed from LSB to  LSB-D1 with the 7800 driver there was no
change - at first.
Behavior was exactly the same as with the 7600 driver.  However, I noted an
"intermittent" condition with the 7800 driver in play.  With the mode as
LSB-D1 the black outline boxes stayed around VOICE and DVK.  When I pressed
a F key to transmit a message there was no audio sound, and the MKII panel
showed "PLAYING".  But, on several occasions, if I interrupted the memory
message by pressing ESC and then restarted the F key memory again the black
boxes would change position to FSK/DIGITAL and DIGITAL in the TX Monitor,
the MKII front panel showed "TRANSMITTING" and the PSK message would play!
When I set the radio mode back to LSB the boxes went back to VOICE and DVK,
BUT if I then pressed the F memory key the radio played a distorted PSK
warble instead of a voice message!  If I changed "Voice/Digital settings
selector..."  to "Select by frequency" the boxes switch properly.  If "Use
DIGITAL settings" is selected the box goes to FSK/DIGITAL and DIGITAL and
stays there regardless of the mode setting on the radio.

I then reset all the drivers back to IC-7600 and tried again.  I set the
Router to "Use VOICE settings" and tried the F key memory message in WL.
Again, the radio was in LSB, the boxes in Router were around VOICE and DVK
and the message played a distorted PSK tone.  Changed modes to LSB-D1 and
the black boxes did not change position.  Transmitted the F key message and
got no audio or output, but the MKII again showed "PLAYING".  Aborted the
message with ESC and tried again.  Now I see the same behavior as with the
IC-7800 driver.  On an intermittent basis pressing the F key AFTER aborting
the message with ESC will cause the boxes to switch to FSK/DIGITAL and
DIGITAL in TX Monitor and the PSK message plays properly.  Switch modes back
to LSB, the boxes switch correctly, but now the distorted PSK message plays
when the boxes are on VOICE and DVK.

Something is amiss and I don't think it's related to which driver is in use.
They both show the same behavior.  It appears as though there is some
miscommunication somewhere along the chain between the radio, WL and Router
and it exists with both the 7800 and 7600 drivers.  Hope this helps.

73,
Gary AL9A