Re: [WriteLog] UPGRADE CW DECODER - Is it Possible ?

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] UPGRADE CW DECODER - Is it Possible ?
From: "Gerald Wilson" <gtwilson@k7vit.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 00:08:12 -0000
Interesting thread.  I am surprised the fur has not flown more by now.

WriteLog is contest software (stating the obvious).  My observation is that
probably 95% of contesters use their contest software to send CW from their
PC buffers/macros.  Another 3 - 4% may be very competent CW ops using
electronic means of keying which help with the bad fist syndrome.  There are
just the last few percent who use totally mechanical means of keying for a
contest, some with more success than others.

I know some like keying with "character," but I think the recommendation to
check one's own copy-ability with a code copier is an interesting and good
suggestion.

I liken the code-copier-capability of software to training wheels for CW
Ops.  Despite some purist's objections, I suspect the code copying ability
of WriteLog has lured many newer hams to give our hobby's foundational mode
of operation a try.  We need to welcome the new folks in!   And then we need
to be an Elmer to those we meet.

73,
Jerry    K7VIT