Re: [WriteLog] wl_cty.bin location

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] wl_cty.bin location
From: "Wayne Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:44:30 -0500 (CDT)
OK, I see I only confused the matter. But I really don't have much to add
over what is in the help file. Let me start with the simple thing and
repeat the info in the latest help file: the only thing you have to know
in version 10.78 and later is to

a) run "Convert CTY to WL",
b) click the "Download" button.
c) Wait for the download to complete, and then click the "Convert
WL_CTY.dat" button.
d) Wait for the conversion to complete, and click the "Cancel" button

You may check your work by bringing up WL, selecting a DX contest of some
sort, and see what country is assigned to the call VERSION and see if it
matches AD1C's documentation.

All done. No emails to writelog@contest.com or support@writelog.com are
necessary.

The information I can add that is not in the help file is mostly to say
what WL does not do:

WriteLog never reads any file called wl_cty.bin and no version ever has
read a file by that name.

When run per the documentation, Convert CTY to WriteLog creates the set of
files documented in the help file, none of which is called wl_cty.bin. I
don't know of any way that WL creates a wl_cty.bin, but, since someone on
the reflector reports finding one, I suppose it is possible (or was
possible in some earlier version of WL that I have forgotten).

All the files that Convert CTY to Writelog reads and all the files it
writes are in one of two places:

Version 10.76 and prior: in WriteLog's Programs folder
--On Vista and Win7 there is a variant here due to user access control. If
UAC is on, then running Convert CTY to WriteLog MIGHT place its output in
the VirtualStore instead of WL's Program's folder. Or it might not,
depending on how WL was installed in the first place--whether it was in
the Windows \Program Files\ directory or not.

Version 10.77 and later: in WriteLog's "application data" folder which is
where the Microsoft OS says it belongs, and MS changed their mind in
pretty much every OS since Win98.

(Note, the mess with UAC required a lot more changes in WL than just
moving the DXCC country database to the application data folder. I should
have taken care of them much sooner than 10.76, but I didn't, so we get to
still discuss the issues now.)

Wayne