Re: [WriteLog] Rig Interface HELP - Icom IC-746 Question

To: "Writelog Forum" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rig Interface HELP - Icom IC-746 Question
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:10:42 -0900
Clay,

Do you have anything else connected to the CI-V bus?  There has been a long
running thread on the IC PW-1 reflector about data collisions on the CI-V
bus caused by the PW-1 polling the radio periodically to see if the
frequency or band has changed.  These polls can conflict with the
communictation between the radio and the PC.  From comments in that thread
it appears that Icom's design team only anticipates handling Icom to Icom
communications on the CI-V bus and makes no provision for data checking on
packets sent over the bus from a software program.

Having said that I have never experienced the types of drop outs in WL that
you are seeing, but then I've never used WL on VHF/UHF.  What is your serial
port connection to the CT-17?  Are you using a native serial port on the PC
or a USB to serial adaptor?  Have you tried some torroid cores on your
interface cables to chole off any stray RF?  Sorry I can't offer more help.

73,
Gary AL9A