Re: [WriteLog] New CQ WW rule on lockout

To: <w0yk@msn.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] New CQ WW rule on lockout
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 16:01:51 -0400
Just for clarity, I think it's important to point out that #1 applies to
lockout over a network, not when using Writelog's SO2R features with two
transmitters connected to the same computer. In the latter case, you can't
transmit on a radio without moving the transmit focus to it (manually or via
SO2R switching features), and that will automatically terminate any
transmission that may be in progress on the other radio. Since you can't
transmit with the paddle or mic without moving the transmit focus, this
works whether you use function key messages or manual transmission.

Lockout over a network can be done, but it's a pain to implement. There are
all sorts of timing bugs that can occur, and "what to do" issues (like, What
do you do when another radio is transmitting? Queue up or make the op try
again?) In the case of multiple radios on the same band, it's better to use
a smart hardware lockout mechanism.

73, Dick WC1M