Re: [WriteLog] WAE QTC's

To: "'REFLECTOR writelog'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WAE QTC's
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:44:34 -0900
I never tried sending QTCs by using the number keys- always used the mouse.
Just tried a sample test and I cannot get the QTC message to send with
ALT+n, but they will send by just using the number key without the ALT.
Whether using the mouse or a number key the transmission does not end until
I press ESC.

My bigger problem was with receiving QTCs and having to ask for a repeat
fill.  The ALT+n keys would not work at all, but would send the memory
message(s) I had stored in the various Entry window buttons - CALL?, NR?,
etc.  At the first slack period I examined my writelog.ini file and found
problem #1.  I use two different writelog.ini files, one for CW and SSB, the
other for RTTY.  Somehow the QTC_FILL_REQ command was entered into the
CW/SSB ini file and not the RTTY ini file.  I added the missing line and
restarted WL so the change would take effect.  Still no joy on the ALT+n
keys to request a fill.  I had to manually key in the fill requests.

Suddenly, this being a relative term these days, I got to wondering if my
Keyboard Shortcuts were problem #2.  I have a series of ALT+0 through ALT+9
shortcuts defined to play the ShiftedPhoneMessages for SSB contests.  I
deleted these commands from the Shortcuts and saved the file.  Never had a
chance to try it out before shutting down for the night.  This morning when
I was receiving some QTCs and asked for a fill there was still the problem
as before.  When I checked the Keyboard Shortcuts again my ALT+0 through
ALT+9 shortcuts were back!  Apparently a Save isn't the way make updates to
the Shortcut definitions, you must do a Setup/Save Configuration for them to
be permanently changed.  By the time I had figured all this out the
remaining QTC packets I received did not need fill requests.  Post contest I
tried a test run of ALT+R and found the ALT+0 through ALT+9 keys now
function as documented.  Great, just in time for next year!  Apparently any
Keyboard Shortcut definitions that reprogram the ALT+n keys over ride the
documented behavior of those keys for fill requests.

Now to reset them back up for next weekend in the SS SSB contest.  I have
made a note on the WL WAE Contest documentation to remind of this for next
year!

73,
Gary AL9A