Re: [WriteLog] Prefill Files - a warning

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Prefill Files - a warning
From: Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:36:32 -0800
The best feature of pre-fill is that it is optional.  Each of us can make
our own choice.

The worst thing about pre-fill is when it is used instead of copying the
exchange.

There is no single correct answer for everyone.

Ed W0YK

Steve GW4BLE wrote:

Firstly, thanks to Gary AL9A for making the prefill ADIF
file available for DXparticipants in the ARRL Contest,
HOWEVER I would advise caution when using these files -
I've never entered a contest with them before, but I did
last weekend in the ARRL DX.

In the heat of running a reasonably fast *sustained* pileup
(say, over the 200/hr rate) itcan be annoying to have the
field  prefill, only to find the guy at the other end has
moved from say, PA to MN !  That few seconds deleting the
prefill and typing in what the guy actually sent put me out
of sync on a number of occasions!

If the rate is 'average', maybe it's not a problem, but
really I would say it's MUCH better to go it alone and just
type in the exchange for yourself. Period.

YMMV