Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R

To: W2GR@aol.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:17:56 -0700
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 2:06 PM, W2GR wrote:

> I have a small city lot...1 trapped beam,1 homebrew  short 160m vert. and a
> very low 80m inv. V and usually score pretty well in  the contests and am
> always pushed down in the standings by the SO2R  guys.
>
> My question is...How does one win anything if they do not choose  to run
> SO2R?

You choose an entry category that gives you a chance to win, given
your definition of "win".  For example, I run 100W to a multi-band
vertical.  I enter the ARRL and CQ DX contests in the low-power,
assisted (unlimited) category.  I've set the W0 call area record for
this category in both CQWW SSB and CW, and set a new W0 call area
record in ARRL DX CW this past year.  Also note that Colorado, being
very far west (practically in 7-land) has very different propagation
than the states on the eastern side of 0-land.  There are lots of guys
to the east of me that would/could potentially have an easier time
setting such a record.

Breaking records, even if they're only call area records, feels like
winning to me.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us