Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 23:12:33 -0800
On Wed,1/7/2015 4:18 PM, Rob K6RB wrote:
As regards pre-fills, I don't use them because I type 85 wpm. And, if I did use a pre-fill, it would be based on an ADIF from one of my own logs and not a compendium (K0HB is right about that, I think).

Yes. As I see it, using a masterdat or a prefill that is not generated from my logs is ASSISTANCE. When I'm running and a call doesn't show up on either screen, I'm going to make sure that I got it right, either by seeing it a couple of times in RTTY windows, or asking myself or the other guy if I got it right. Without those aids, I might never have asked. That's assistance, even though the Rules for most contests don't treat it that way.

I operate SO2R and it took a long time to become comfortable with it,

Me too, and I am still not even close to being comfortable.

but I agree that intrinsically I should be able to do slightly better than someone of comparable skill using SO1R.

There's an excellent piece in the new NCJ showing that SO2R is more than a "slight advantage."

73, Jim K9YC