Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R

To: WriteLog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 12:53:47 -0600
Ed does a great job running multiple radios, especially on RTTY.  It is
definitely not easy, especially if you are operating from a high rate
area.  Imagine working 200-300+ stations per hour on SSB on one radio
while looking for mults on another. There are operators that do this very
well. Anyone can set up two radios but learning to use both and maintain
this energy and motivation during the contest is the challenge. I see no
reason for a separate category. You should never under estimate what can
be done with a single radio. Many people have won using SO1R, including
myself. As Ed said, SO2R on RTTY is easier. You do not have to mentally
copy anything and the exchanges are often ridiculously long which give you
a lot of free time. The difficult part for me when running RTTY on two
bands is that you cannot legally transmit on both at the same time (as
single op) and sometimes QSOs do not sync well. Both may require my
response at the same time and sometimes I have to wait longer than I care
for before I can hit the appropriate F key for one of the QSOs.

John KK9A / W4AAA