Re: [WriteLog] SO2R vs SO1R

To: john@kk9a.com, WriteLog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R vs SO1R
From: Mike W2GR via WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 06:23:39 -0500
Ok...tks John

I get it now.

I'm gonna have to start hanging around with Dennis Rodman...so the next time he
goes to visit the little tyrant...I'll make sure he does it during the CQWW
RTTY.
; oD

That outta do it.

I guess I should have asked which contest in this country. As in SO2R...99.9%
of participants in contests do not travel to some multiplier country to enhance
the chances of a win.

As in SO2R if it didn't give someone the huge advantage in winning..would they
still spend the time, effort and money to go  there?

Probably not.

As I said before..the Classic is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply and see you in the next one!

Mike W2GR

SO2R vs SO1R </div><div>
CQWW Classic allows only one transceiver.  You can also operate single band and
be very competitive with one radio in any contest.  I have a number of single
band plaques and records, most done with a single radio.

To get the full benefit of SO2R you have to be almost super human.  Watch how
easy N6MJ makes it look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqkw05ClqQ4 .  Even
with only one radio many of the winning operators would be tough to beat.
Another way to improve your score is by improving your antennas and location.

Since you asked I will list a couple of my SO1R highlights. In the 2011 CQWW
Phone Contest, I was in Aruba with my XYL celebrating our anniversary so this
was not a super serious operation. Also the DSL had a very poor connection.
Using the callsign P40A,  I operated SOAB (A) and had the world high score and
came very close to breaking the all time record. (Since this is the Writelog
list, I should mention that I used Writelog). In 1999 I won the low power
category in the ARRL DX Phone contest using the callsign VP5J and I set a new
record with just one radio. In 2004, K9PG went to WP3R and broke my record.
also using one radio.

W2GD/P40W is an excellent operator who has won many contests and he always uses
a single transceiver. He does an amazing job of finding multipliers and band
openings while maintaining high QSO rates.

I plan to operate SO1R in the next ARRL DX phone contest as WP2AA.

73,
John KK9A – W4AAA