Re: [WriteLog] Upgrade Questions

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Upgrade Questions
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:44:56 -0900
Art,

I'm not a Win 10 guy yet, but I think this is what you need to do.

1. Since your license is good for another six weeks or so, find the last FULL version of WL that you purchased when you renewed your license in January, 2015. This may have been a downloadable file or on a CD ROM if you elected to purchase that option. You should have gotten a email with your registration code as well as a link to a download site. The link may be out of date by now so if you can't find the file on your old machine you may need to contact WL Support and request a new link to the current FULL version. Once you have that file install it on your Win 10 machine with your current registration code.

2. After installing the FULL version download and install the latest update file from http://writelog.com/Downloads/wl1130cmsiupg.exe.

3. You should now have a fully installed and functioning WL version with all the core WL contest modules. Start up WL and see if it works ok. If so close it down and find your writelog.ini file location from the install. The easiest way to find where it was located during the install is to go to All Programs and find the WriteLog V11 program group folder. In this folder there is a utility called "Edit WriteLog.ini". Right click on this name and then left click on Properties. In the Target box will be a path name to where your writelog.ini file is located. Forget the first part about notepad, but check the end of the path for ...\VirtualStore\Windows\writelog.ini.

My path on a 32 bit Vista machine is C:\Users\AL9A\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\WRITELOG.INI. Note that the AppData folder in the path name is a hidden folder. Go to the Control Panel and find the option to Display Hidden Files and turn it on. This will let you use File Explorer to navigate to your VirtualStore location. After verifying where your writelog.ini is take a look at it. It will be a bare bones version from the install. If you want your previous settings go back to your old machine and put a copy of your writelog.ini file from that machine onto a thumb drive. Now go back to the Win 10 machine and rename the writelog.ini file there to something else, like writelog.bak, and then paste the thumb drive writelog.ini file into the Win 10 VirtualStore location. This should give you most of the the things you will need in the new install. You may have to redo the com port number assignments depending upon how the new machine is configured.

4. After verifying that WL now runs with the new writelog.ini file that was brought over from your old machine go back to the WL Downloads page and go to the Third Party page. Here there are several downloads that you can do for contest modules for WL that were written by 3rd party authors. These are not included with the standard WL contest modules that were created at the time of the install. If you want to have any or all of these modules download and install them on your new machine.

That should be it.  Good luck.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: artw4aa@bellsouth.net