Re: [WriteLog] Using K3 KIO3B USB with Writelog

To: "'Ken Widelitz'" <widelitz@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using K3 KIO3B USB with Writelog
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 06:39:37 -0800
The WriteLog Ports settings are the same as before.  The Com port number
needs to be the same in WriteLog as in the K3 USB port on your PC.

There are no isolation transformers because the audio in and out of the K3
is digital via USB.  Your PC will now list an additional sound card which is
the K3.  Select that sound card for your mic input.

When you first connect the USB cable between the PC and K3, Windows will
find the USB and Codec drivers and install them.  Wait for that standard
Windows process to complete.  Then you will have an additional Port device
called USB something in Device Manager.  Under Soundcards, there will be a
new Codec which is the K3.

If you are using one PC for SO2R with two K3s, then the PC will show two new
soundcards, one for each K3.  The PC will also show two new Ports, one for
each K3.  As far as knowing which soundcard and port go with which K3, only
plug one USB cable in at first and note which Com port it installs with.
Change that Com port number if you wish, but remember what it is for that
specific K3.  Go into the Soundcard section of Device Manager and rename the
K3 soundcard to something like "K3-right".  Then, plug in the second K3 and
repeat.  If you ever get confused, just unplug one of them and see what
remains.

No splitters or isolation transformers are needed.  That is the whole point
of the KIO3B.   ;>)

Ed W0YK