Re: [WriteLog] Using K3 KIO3B USB with Writelog

To: writelog@contesting.com, Reflector Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using K3 KIO3B USB with Writelog
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 08:56:48 -0800
On Fri,12/25/2015 6:39 AM, Ed Muns wrote:
No splitters or isolation transformers are needed.  That is the whole point
of the KIO3B.

WRONG! The need for isolation transformers is a total fallacy. No isolation transformers are needed with ANY radio if proper, simple chassis-to-chassis bonding of all interconnected equipment is done in the shack. It's easy and cheap -- all it takes is short lengths of plain, ordinary copper wire.

Study http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

The tutorial is a bit long because I have to bust the "ground loop" myths.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with Ed's detailed advice. EXCEPT -- Windows defines a COM port when you plug in a device that is new to it. It remembers that assignment as long as you plug the same device into the SAME USB PORT on the computer. But if you plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port, Windows will think it's a new device, and assign ANOTHER COM port to it. SO -- be careful to keep notes of which devices (rigs, mice, etc.) are plugged into which USB ports. It's real easy to end up with a mess if you don't! Ask me how I know. :)

73, Jim K9YC