Re: [WriteLog] GridSq + S/N ??

To: "'Writelog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] GridSq + S/N ??
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 21:39:41 -0500
Ed probably needs to answer this. My memory is not the best. On the outside
I say there is no advantage or disadvantage either way. As fact, the first
set of rules for this contest was to send a signal report (RST not SNR) and
grid. But then we realized that this wouldn't work (not enough bits?) and we
wouldn't be able to get the WSJT-X team to develop it in time or something
like that.

Regardless, I believe it was the WSJT-X develop team that convinced us to
ultimately use the NA VHF contest format so WSJT-X would work in that
contest mode. It was a bit of a mess because the software writers (N1MM,
WriteLog and MSHV) had already adapted their programs for an earlier set of
rules and then had to change to adapt to the new rules.

Our goal was to include non-contesters. At one point we talked about using
standard messages. In the end, we used NA VHF setup. We aren't committed to
the same exchange next year. That is why discussion is important.

Don AA5AU